Sunday, August 7, 2011

Jamie's Birthday cake


Sorry... no pics yet... when I get them uploaded I will post them for all... Mom, you should be able to 'save' them from here to be able to print them.


GF Carob (mock chocolate) Cake by Wendy Semyck
  • preheat oven to 350
whisk dry ingredients together
  • 1.5 Cup white rice flour
  • 3/4 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/2 cup carob powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda (I didn't have any baking powder on hand and so I used 2 scant tsp baking soda)
  • 1 tsp xanthum gum (or guar gum... I used guar gum yesterday for our sons b-day cake!)
In mixing bowl - mix til fluffy:
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2/3 cup mayo
Gradually add to the egg mixture - alternating between the two:
  • flour mixture
  • 1 cup milk (I used hemp) + 2 tsp vanilla extract
Mix well.  Being sure there are no lumps.  I started my stand mixer on 3 and then moved it to 6 for 5 mins while my dd used the rubber spatula to keep it off the sides of the ss mixing bowl.   I then let it sit for a couple of minutes to help reduce the grainy type of texture that is often unavoidable when using rice flour.  Letting it sit for a little while helped a lot.  NO grainy texture at all!

No one knew it was gluten free.  Also, they had NO idea it was carob... they kept saying that the "chocolate cake" was great. :D

This makes 2    8-9" rounds or  1  ~  9x13

I made one round in white from a mix I had purchased.  I could tell it wasnt' going to be enough... so created the carob for another round... it was enough to make that and a small rectagular cake that I put coconut and walnuts on top... that one looked like brownies and I (along with the other ladies at the party) prefered it to the frosted cake... toasted coconut and walnuts... YUM!
... it was even better this morning!!! :D

No comments: